Sunday Reader Email Question: How Do I Book Awards for Others?
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
TPG Reader Karin writes:
“Would you please consider an analysis (… or point me to someone else’s) of airlines whose awards can be shared, and under what conditions? With family or non-family; with restrictions; and at what cost?
BA’s conditions appear very rigid – award miles are shareable only with family members, only if you live at the same address, and a max of 19,000 points a year – and you pay for the privilege. It’s not clear whether one can flat-out purchase an award flight for another person, family or non-, as opposed to transferring miles.
Also not clear whether this is a BA rule, or applies to all oneworld partners – that would be important to know.
The Miles+More website seems to let you buy an award ticket for anyone you want. This should be encouraged!
Haven’t looked into Flying Blue, Skyteam, AsiaMiles or others… my interest is mainly in major international carriers, but if partner airlines apply different rules to sharing award miles that would be a brilliant loophole.”
Okay, first things first – you are confusing the concept of physically transferring miles to another person and booking an award for them. BA does limit transfers (and mileage purchases), but not booking awards for other people. Under a normal account, you can book tickets for whomever you’d like. If you have a BA Household Account, you can only book for someone in your Household. Adding people to your Household is very easy and can be done online.
Beyond British Airways, almost every frequent flyer program allows you to book awards for other people, so it really doesn’t make any sense to transfer miles unless you need to top up a mileage account (or take advantage of Delta’s current lucrative transfer miles promotion). Most allow booking online, so you just enter in the person’s name when it comes time to redeem.
Another aspect of transferring miles is with respect to American Express Membership Rewards and Chase Ultimate Rewards points. Both programs allow you to transfer your points to other people’s accounts, instantly and free of charge (besides the normal excise fees).
For example, you can link another person’s Delta SkyMiles account to your American Express Membership Rewards account (membershiprewards.com -> Points Summary -> Link Additional programs) and then transfer miles directly into their account. This even works for promotions, like the 50% bonus and 25,000 elite miles when you transfer at least 100,000 Amex points to Delta. If you got the bonus for yourself, you can still transfer points to someone else and they’d be eligible as well since most Delta promos are pegged to your Delta account – not American Express account.
This flexibility is one of the reasons why Membership Rewards and Ultimate Rewards points are extremely valuable. If a family member/friend needs a little boost to be able to book an award, I can instantly top up their account – I’ve been a hero on multiple occasions because I knew about this option.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees