Continental Encourages American Express Point Transfers
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Continental leaves the American Express Membership Rewards program September 30, 2011 and they have been aggressively emailing their frequent flyers asking them to transfer their points to Continental before it’s too late. I recently got an email:
“THE COUNTDOWN IS ON. DON’T MISS OUT.
TURN MEMBERSHIP REWARDS® POINTS INTO MILES NOW.
Continental’s partnership with American Express® Membership Rewards® will end on Sept. 30, 2011. Convert Membership Rewards® points into miles for OnePass®rewards.*”
I may actually transfer some American Express points to Continental, but I’d like to see some sort of incentive. I have a feeling American Express may run some unique promotions in September which will encourage people not to transfer to Continental. If you see on their website, they already list Continental as the last airline transfer partner on page three!
American Express pays each airline for the miles, so clearly Continental wants a huge amount of miles to be transferred. I don’t think its a coincidence that the huge Delta (50% and 67%) bonuses both end on September 30.
While American Express won’t run a transfer bonus to Continental, I wouldn’t be surprised if Continental added some incentive – like a 5,000 mile bonus that they give out on their end.
So, bottom line – I wouldn’t recommend transferring to Continental until the last minute – unless they offer some sort of bonus that makes it worth it. And remember, you can still transfer your American Express points to Aeroplan, ANA and Singapore to book your Star Alliance travel, however, I will miss having Continental as an option.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.