And the Winner of the 100,000 Starpoints Is…
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
With 21% of the vote, Travelhackerr – congratulations! 1,138 votes were cast in total over the 24 hours, with the breakdown being:
- Travelhackerr’s Plan to Propose and then Honeymoon (21%, 242 Votes)
- David Hagins Family Trip to Aruba (17%, 199 Votes)
- Cory’s Family Beach and Snow Trips (16%, 184 Votes)
- KirstenE’s Family Trip to Hawaii (15%, 168 Votes)
- SajerGuy’s Golf Trip to Macau (9%, 108 Votes)
- TriciaC’s Return to Japan (9%, 103 Votes)
- Mitch’s Analytical Trip to India (5%, 53 Votes)
- Heather’s Tour de Points (3%, 34 Votes)
- Joey’s Trip to Paris (2%, 25 Votes)
- Coldlimit’s Foodie Tour of Asia (3%, 22 Votes)
Hopefully you will write a guest blog post about your experience, especially with the proposal! Best of luck to you and I hope you get the answer you want.
As for everyone else, I was so impressed with your entries, I don’t want you walking away empty-handed. As I mentioned when I first posted this promotion, American Express is giving me 100,000 Starpoints to run this promotion. While I cannot split up that prize and give you all the points (like I originally wanted to), I am going to give runners-up 2-10 each a $100 American Express Gift cards and I’ll be donating $250 to the Red Cross (since that seemed to be a very popular charity choice in the entries).
TPG Membership Liaison Danielle will be in touch shortly to get your information. I really appreciate everyone playing along and I hope you all learned a thing or two about using SPG points and why the 30,000 point sign-up bonus is a really good deal. Update: 30k bonus expired 8/22/11
Now, how am I going to use the 100,000 Starpoints? It’s actually pretty simple.
I’ve never been to Hawaii (shocker, I know) nor have I stayed at a St. Regis. I’d plan an 8 day rest and relaxation trip as follows:
I’d redeem 80,000 of the points to spend 5 nights at the The St. Regis Princeville Resort on Kauai and then spend the other 20,000 on Cash + Points stays on the other islands. In typical TPG planning, I’ll reach out to my immensely resourceful readers to craft the overall trip, but I was thinking The Westin Ka’anapali Ocean Resort Villas for 2 nights on Maui at 8,000 points + $150 a night and then a final night on Honoluluat the Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa, Waikiki Beach for 4,800 points and $90. I realize that brings me to 100,800 points, but just as easily as I make the rules, I’m allowed to break them :-)
I have trips to Peru and Puerto Rico to plan first, but expect expect a full TPG Does Hawaii series in the future!
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.