American Express Adds Priority Boarding and 20% In-Flight Discounts for Delta Amex Cardholders
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here – Gold Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card from American Express, Platinum Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card from American Express
Chase recently announced Priority Boarding benefits with their new United MileagePlus Explorer Card and Continental Onepass Plus cards and today Delta announced the same for many of their Express cardholders.
According to today’s press release, Gold and Platinum Delta Amex cardmembers will soon receive priority boarding when flying with Delta. Priority boarding means early access to overhead bin space and a less stressful boarding experience. However, I imagine the “priority” boarding on many flights will now be over half the plane because his benefit extends up to 8 companions traveling with the cardmember, much like the First Bag Free benefit.
The priority boarding benefit will begin September 1st, as will another perk: a 20% discount on all eligible in-flight purchases for cardmembers and their travelmates. Examples of Delta in-flight amenities include; video games, beverages, movies, food and tv shows.
What are your thoughts on these new perks? As a Delta elite, I’m a little annoyed there will be more people with priority boarding, but frankly I am usually upgraded to first class and since Delta boards first class before elites, this shouldn’t affect me too much. Overall, I don’t think we should be too surprised – I think we all know how much the airlines value their credit card partnerships so I only suspect more perks will be given to cardholders as airlines compete for not only premium passengers, but premium passengers who spend a lot on credit cards.
If you are considering getting one of these cards, right now you can receive 25,000 miles when you sign-up (and add two additional cards) for the American Express Delta Gold card. There is a $95 annual fee, waived for the first year. Receive 22,500 miles (5,000 MQMs) when you sign-up (and add one additional card) for American Express Delta Platinum. There is a $150 annual fee.
Other Delta SkyMiles Credit Card Benefits and Features (per the press release)
American Express offers several Delta co-brand Credit Cards, including the Gold and Platinum Delta SkyMiles Credit Cards, and Delta Reserve Credit Card, which feature many benefits in addition to priority boarding and in-flight savings:
- A free checked bag on every Delta flight – up to a $50 savings per person on a round-trip ticket – available for the Cardmember and up to eight people traveling in their reservation
- One mile for every eligible dollar spent on the Card
- Double miles for all Delta purchases
- No limit to the number of miles Cardmembers can earn and miles don’t expire
- Ability to “Pay with Miles” – Cardmembers can pay for all or a portion of the cost of any Delta seat with no black out dates or seat restrictions
- Domestic companion certificate upon annual renewal of Cardmembership
- Ability to redeem miles at discounted redemption rates on hotel stays, car rentals merchandise and more
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.