American Airlines Institutes Free Flight Cancellations
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
You can read it here on The Points Guy first: As of August 1, 2011, American Airlines now allows penalty-free cancellation of valid, ticketed flights. At least, when it’s them doing the canceling.
Yes, that’s right. Even if you make a valid, ticketed reservation on aa.com, they have now instituted a policy where they can cancel your ticket at at any time, free of charge, without letting you know.
Okay, you may be scratching your head and if you haven’t picked up by now, I’m being sarcastic. Last week I told you about a BIG issue I was having with an American Airlines reservation. In short, I paid over $3,700 to fly from Hong Kong to New York round-trip on Cathay Pacific in first class. I purchased the ticket on AA.com and got it confirmed and charged to my credit card. However, nine days later, American sent me an aggressive email saying I had actually purchased coach. Wait, huh?
They gave some incommensurate, unacceptable re-routing options and I rejected them on the phone and sent them an email saying I wasn’t okay with their less-than-customer-friendly options. Personally, American has held nearly $4,000 of my money hostage for almost a month and most importantly wasted my time – all because of an error on their part. I understand errors happen, but I told them on the phone and via email that a simple refund wasn’t enough – they should give me something for wasting my time and resources. Last time I checked, they charged their customers steep fees when they needed to cancel or change tickets – so why should it be any different for American when they decided they no longer wanted to honor a legitimate fare that they sold me via their website?
I never heard back from them and yesterday I logged into my account and I noticed my ticket was canceled. I never received a response to my email or another phone call from them confirming that they ignored my concerns and canceled my ticket, which, quite frankly, I think is garbage customer service.
We Won’t Pay Change Fees!
I personally don’t want to create a war over this and I don’t want to pull a, “Do you know who I am?” like many of you suggested, because, to be quite honest, I don’t think American Airlines cares. They admitted they made a mistake on the fare and they decided to do what was in their best interest.
Not that I’m going to give American Airlines any money anytime soon, but I say let’s all of us together start a new strategy with the airline that gives them a taste of their own medicine. If they try to charge you a change fee, just tell them you made an error and you don’t feel like honoring the contract anymore, since it’s obviously okay for them to that to customers when it behooves them. Extra points if you use the word “behooves.”
Oh and by the way, I still don’t see a refund from American Airlines on my American Express statement. I’m sure they are taking their sweet time to get that processed.
Am I overreacting here?
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees