3x Amex Membership Rewards Points for NYC Dining and Shopping
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
August and September are notoriously big months for shopping and dining for NYers – everyone returns from their summer getaways and gets back to business. Many are going back to school and the fashion crowd ramps up for Fashion Week.
Capitalizing on all that primed buying power, American Express is now offering 3x Membership Rewards points for shopping and dining at over 200 retailers and restaurants from August 1- September 15, 2011. All you need to do in enroll your eligible card here and you’ll start getting the points automatically when you make charges at participating merchants.
You can browse the full list of participants here, but for a quick hit list of my personal favorites, and where you’ll find me racking up those triple points in the next month, take a look below, and let me know where you’ll be headed!
Restaurants I’ve been to and I like:
-Barbuto: Great place for wine and good Italian. Just south of the Meatpacking district, so a great place to go after working up an appetite walking the High Line.
-Bond St: Good scene, good sushi.
-Centro Vinoteca: Reasonable and a good place to meet friends in the Village.
-Les Halles: Good French food in Gramercy.
-Nobu: Haven’t actually been, but just ate at Matsuhisa in LA and am in love with the famous Nobu salad.
-The River Cafe: Unbelievable dining experience in Brooklyn, right below the Brooklyn Bridge. If you need to impress someone, take them here.
-Brooklyn Industries: Not just because I live in Brooklyn! I’ve gotten some great casual clothes and one of my favorite in-flight zip-up hoodies for when the plane air-conditioning is on steroids.
-Saks: My go-to NYC store. I almost always get really nice designer stuff on major sale. I’m not just a deal hound when it comes to travel!
-Tourneau- Columbus Circle: As I’ve written about before, I’m on the market for a nice watch, so this 3x points promotion is nicely timed … no pun intended.
Broadway Shows I want to see:
-Book of Mormon
-Priscilla Queen of the Desert
-Great Jones Spa
-NY Water Taxi: Extend your summer by having drinks at the beach bar!
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.