Reminder: Last Opportunity to Transfer American Express to British Airways Miles at a 50% Bonus!
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Just a friendly reminder that tomorrow, Sunday July 31, 2011, is the last day to take advantage of the American Express to British Airways transfer bonus. I’ve highlighted the British Airways Executive Club program details in a 10 part series and compared it against Delta, but if you have any lingering questions that are keeping you from pulling the trigger, feel free to comment below and either me or other savvy TPG readers will chime in to help you make your decision.
1) Redeeming awards to Europe – even on partners like American, will be expensive.
2) The best BA awards (in my opinion) are single partner awards within the US (25k/50k/75k) on American or Alaska, or South American (40k/80k/120k) or Asia 50k/100k/150k).
3) BA allows one-way awards – even on partners.
4) BA has very generous award routing and stopover rules. You can stop as many times as you want – even on one-way awards! So for example, for 100,000 miles you can fly business class US to Asia. If you split it into two one-way awards, you could fly Cathay Pacific on the outbound, you can stop for however long you want in Hong Kong, before continuing on to another destination like Bali. Then you buy a cheap ticket from Bali to Singapore and if you fly Japan Airlines on the return, you could fly home from Singapore to Tokyo, stop for however long you want, then Tokyo back to the US. So essentially, you just visited 4 cities in Asia and flew business class for only 100,000 miles. Taxes on those awards are cheaper than taxes to Europe – it depends on the carrier, but think around $300 – not bad, especially for business or first class itineraries.
5) BA has four award charts, but I only ever use the single partner award chart (which is easier for me since I live in NYC and most partners fly here).
To read more, check out these posts.
Amazing Deal: 50% Bonus on American Express to British Airways Point Transfers
General tips, Post 1 – Booking BA Awards, Post 2 – Booking Partner Awards, Post 3 – Oneworld Alliance, Post 4 – Taxes and Fees, Post 5 – Household Accounts, Post 6 – Companion Ticket, Post 7 – Using ExpertFlyer for Partner Award Availability, Post 8 – The Art of the Stopover, Post 9 – Leveraging Miles and Cash Redemptions, and Post 10 – Using Qantas.com to Find Oneworld Award Availability.
In general, I think the 50% transfer is a phenomenal deal, but only if you understand the program first!
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees