Reminder: Last Opportunity to Transfer American Express to British Airways Miles at a 50% Bonus!
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Just a friendly reminder that tomorrow, Sunday July 31, 2011, is the last day to take advantage of the American Express to British Airways transfer bonus. I’ve highlighted the British Airways Executive Club program details in a 10 part series and compared it against Delta, but if you have any lingering questions that are keeping you from pulling the trigger, feel free to comment below and either me or other savvy TPG readers will chime in to help you make your decision.
1) Redeeming awards to Europe – even on partners like American, will be expensive.
2) The best BA awards (in my opinion) are single partner awards within the US (25k/50k/75k) on American or Alaska, or South American (40k/80k/120k) or Asia 50k/100k/150k).
3) BA allows one-way awards – even on partners.
4) BA has very generous award routing and stopover rules. You can stop as many times as you want – even on one-way awards! So for example, for 100,000 miles you can fly business class US to Asia. If you split it into two one-way awards, you could fly Cathay Pacific on the outbound, you can stop for however long you want in Hong Kong, before continuing on to another destination like Bali. Then you buy a cheap ticket from Bali to Singapore and if you fly Japan Airlines on the return, you could fly home from Singapore to Tokyo, stop for however long you want, then Tokyo back to the US. So essentially, you just visited 4 cities in Asia and flew business class for only 100,000 miles. Taxes on those awards are cheaper than taxes to Europe – it depends on the carrier, but think around $300 – not bad, especially for business or first class itineraries.
5) BA has four award charts, but I only ever use the single partner award chart (which is easier for me since I live in NYC and most partners fly here).
To read more, check out these posts.
Amazing Deal: 50% Bonus on American Express to British Airways Point Transfers
General tips, Post 1 – Booking BA Awards, Post 2 – Booking Partner Awards, Post 3 – Oneworld Alliance, Post 4 – Taxes and Fees, Post 5 – Household Accounts, Post 6 – Companion Ticket, Post 7 – Using ExpertFlyer for Partner Award Availability, Post 8 – The Art of the Stopover, Post 9 – Leveraging Miles and Cash Redemptions, and Post 10 – Using Qantas.com to Find Oneworld Award Availability.
In general, I think the 50% transfer is a phenomenal deal, but only if you understand the program first!
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.