Reader Email Sundays: What is the Best Way to Increase Credit Card Spend At Lowest Cost?
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
TPG Reader Sean writes:
I am new to the Frequent Flyer mile arena and I’m hoping to take advantage of the great information at sites like yours.
The problem is I don’t rack up a ton of credit card charges. Thankfully our monthly charges aren’t that much and since it’s just my wife and I we don’t have exorbitant grocery or gas expenses. I’d like to sign up for the SPG card and take advantage of the extra 15K points for reaching $15,000 in 6 months but there is absolutely no way we’ll get there through our normal monthly expenditure. How can I rack up more expenses without buying new TVs or other stuff I don’t need?
Thanks for all your insight and help!”
Unfortunately there is no magical way to accrue free credit card charges without assuming the liability to pay off the bill. If that were the case, everyone could charge millions of dollars of a year and get an unlimited cache of valuable miles and points.
However, savvy people have worked the system and found ways to minimize the cost of earning miles via credit card spend, though none are truly free. Most have risks associated with them and can be time-consuming, so do your research before you go crazy with any of them.
1) Buy US Mint coins. I have personally never done this, though I know many people who have. Mr. Pickles wrote about it here and you can also read this lengthy Flyertalk thread here or this Wall Street Journal article here.
Upside: Credit card spend at a very low cost
Downside: Debatable ethics, hassle of lugging coins to a bank and convincing them to accept your deposit, possible risk of getting banned from a bank if they find your activity abusive.
2) Pay your spouse for “payments” using a payment service like Paydivvy.com or Serve. There are usually fees involved, but some will waive them for introductory periods. I do not do this, so I can’t speak from experience, but if you read those threads you’ll get an understanding of how some people are using payments as a way to hit spend requirements.
3) Buy gift cards and then sell them for cash. You probably won’t get 100% value for them, but you can get close (just search Ebay for past sales). American Express gift cards are great for gifts though there is no way, that I know, to turn them into cash directly at 100% value.
I’m sure there are other creative ways that people have thought up to increase spend with relatively little cost or time incurred, so feel free to comment on your techniques.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees