July/August Air France & KLM 50% Off Promo Awards
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Air France’s frequent flyer program, Flying Blue, is a 1:1 transfer partner of American Express, but I generally don’t recommend using them for awards. Their taxes and surcharges are usually very high so it usually makes sense to transfer to Delta instead (usually at a significant transfer bonus) to book the same Skyteam award. However, every two months Flying Blue runs a list of routes that are 50% off for award redemptions. What this means is that you can fly from certain cities in the US to Europe roundtrip for 25,000 miles in coach and 50,000 miles in business class – not bad, even if there are high fees!
If you’ve never booked a promo award and want to learn more, check out my tutorial on how to book them. Now let’s take a look at the July/August promo routes from North America: Dallas and Chicago to Europe via Amsterdam (KLM flights), New York JFK, Washington Dulles, Detroit and Montreal to Europe via Paris (Air France flights). Note: Voyageur = coach, Premium Voyageur= Premium Economy and Affaires = Business Class
So what this means is that any Classic award flight you can pull up in Expertflyer that either starts or ends in one of those North American cities, will be half off. A great thing about Flying Blue is that they allow one-way awards. So you can book one way to Tel Aviv in business class for 25,000 Amex points and then the other way home using British Airways, for example (taking advantage of their 50% transfer promo). To show an example, I did an “Awards and Upgrades” search in ExpertFlyer for Montreal (YUL) to Tel Aviv (TLV) for this weekend. I used Tel Aviv because Flying Blue is one of the only programs that classifies Tel Aviv as a part of Europe, which is pretty incredible, especially with these Promo Awards.
It showed me that there was O class (Classic Business Award) space for this weekend, so I went to Airfrance.us, entered my Flying Blue number and password (which every Amex member should get and store in their profile, you can sign up for free here) and did a one-way search for YUL-TLV in business class for this Saturday.
Sure enough several Promo award options pulled up.
The final flight I selected came to only 25,000 miles and $386.44 for one way in business class – not bad, since Israel flights can cost a small fortune, in either miles or cash.
Tel Aviv was just my example, you could also substitute any city in Europe that Air France flies to and as long as there was Classic award space, the award should price to 25k one way business class or 12,500 one way coach.
An important thing to note is that these promo awards do not work if you have Delta miles. Air France will not reduce the price of their awards if you book via Delta – these discounts are only given to those who have Flying Blue miles (which Amex points transfer instantly at a 1:1 ratio). Pretty crazy to think that one 100k “Bump your Platinum Card Bonus” can get you two roundtrip business class tickets to anywhere in Europe!
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.