Huge Savings (Including Starwood) With American Express Link, Like, Love Facebook Promotion
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
I have to admit, I’m a little bit skeptical of all the companies rushing to cash in on social media. My eyebrows are raised mostly because a majority of companies don’t think out long term strategies and simply encourage people to “like” them to boost their number of followers or fans. I mean, how many times in the past month have we seen individuals hotels handing out points to anyone in the world for “liking” them and then shutting down the promos in an unprofessional fashion when they realize it got out of control? (Ah hem, I’m talking about you Westin Charlotte and Sheraton Madison!)
Anyway, American Express has actually been one of the companies I respect when it comes to social media campaigns. As a cardholder, I’ve seen them get into social media early and I think their promotions and content are well executed.
However, I was still a little skeptical when I heard this week that American Express and Facebook were teaming up to provide cardholder discounts for things people “like”. However, I wanted to test it out for this blog post and I have to say I am now pretty excited about the discounts and rebates I am going to earn for the spend I was already going to have.
For example, I will get $40 back when I spend at least $100 at Westin Hotels by August 31 (which I was going to do anyway). The best part is that the statement credit posts automatically, so theres nothing extra I need to do. I’ll also get $40 statement credit when I spend $100 at Sheraton, which is perfect because I’m putting some family members up at the Sheraton Brooklyn soon (which was only $129 on Starpicks!), so that further decreases my cost.
There are also discounts with Whole Foods, Lord & Taylor and a bunch of other retailers, so in all I’m pretty impressed, especially since the program is so new. I don’t mind sharing my personal information if it means cash in my pocket!
I know it seems crazy give so much personal information to advertisers, but in my opinion, the real, cash savings are worth it for me. I completely understand why people wouldn’t be comfortable with this promotion, but for me money talks! What are your thoughts? Will you Link, Like, Love American Express in order to get these pretty significant statement credits?
For sample T&C, here are the details on the Westin rebate
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.