Huge Savings (Including Starwood) With American Express Link, Like, Love Facebook Promotion
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
I have to admit, I’m a little bit skeptical of all the companies rushing to cash in on social media. My eyebrows are raised mostly because a majority of companies don’t think out long term strategies and simply encourage people to “like” them to boost their number of followers or fans. I mean, how many times in the past month have we seen individuals hotels handing out points to anyone in the world for “liking” them and then shutting down the promos in an unprofessional fashion when they realize it got out of control? (Ah hem, I’m talking about you Westin Charlotte and Sheraton Madison!)
Anyway, American Express has actually been one of the companies I respect when it comes to social media campaigns. As a cardholder, I’ve seen them get into social media early and I think their promotions and content are well executed.
However, I was still a little skeptical when I heard this week that American Express and Facebook were teaming up to provide cardholder discounts for things people “like”. However, I wanted to test it out for this blog post and I have to say I am now pretty excited about the discounts and rebates I am going to earn for the spend I was already going to have.
For example, I will get $40 back when I spend at least $100 at Westin Hotels by August 31 (which I was going to do anyway). The best part is that the statement credit posts automatically, so theres nothing extra I need to do. I’ll also get $40 statement credit when I spend $100 at Sheraton, which is perfect because I’m putting some family members up at the Sheraton Brooklyn soon (which was only $129 on Starpicks!), so that further decreases my cost.
There are also discounts with Whole Foods, Lord & Taylor and a bunch of other retailers, so in all I’m pretty impressed, especially since the program is so new. I don’t mind sharing my personal information if it means cash in my pocket!
I know it seems crazy give so much personal information to advertisers, but in my opinion, the real, cash savings are worth it for me. I completely understand why people wouldn’t be comfortable with this promotion, but for me money talks! What are your thoughts? Will you Link, Like, Love American Express in order to get these pretty significant statement credits?
For sample T&C, here are the details on the Westin rebate
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees