How to Work Around Britishairways.com Disfunctionality
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
I got in on the 100,000 British Airways Visa payday like many of you and I’ve written many posts about using britishairways.com to check Oneworld award availability (like this one on partner awards). There’s even a rock-star 50% transfer bonus to BA with American Express Membership Rewards points until July 31, 2011, so I anticipate even more people trying to us britishairways.com. However, lately ba.com has been abominable lately – refusing to work and giving out frustrating errors.
Is there a way to get around this? I’ve personally found that using the site at off-peak US hours works best. Between midnight and 6am EST, I’ve been able to use it with decent results – only getting an error once in a while and once I restarted, I was able to price out itineraries.
If ba.com isn’t working for you no matter what, you’ll have to call BA to book the award. But be prepared, the hold times can be long and the agents surly, so you should do all of your research before you call. How do you do research if ba.com is down? There are a couple tools that can help.
Qantas’ search engine
AA.com for AA awards (all SAAver level awards can be booked using BA miles)
Calling American AAdvantage at 1-800-882-8880 (usually no wait time) and working with a knowledgeable rep to find Oneworld space. Write down the flight numbers and then call BA to book.
Iberia’s search engine also has a Oneworld engine. Not perfect, but better than nothing. Click here to get an IberiaPlus account and then
KVS Tool- Not the sleekest interface, but I still find it pretty good at getting availability. Not Mac-friendly (KVS Tool- I know you’ll probably comment to this post, so can you let us know when a Mac version is coming out?!)
Expertflyer.com Limited Oneworld availability, see this post on how to use it with BA miles
I’m sure there are other tips and tricks, so please feel free to share your experiences below. No matter what – don’t give up!
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees