Guest Blog Post: 23,500 American Miles for Opening a Citibank Checking Account
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
On Monday May 2, 2011 I announced that I will be featuring guest blog posts from some of the greatest minds in the frequent flyer world. For the first post, I introduced Joshua Pickles, also known as Mr. Pickles. In the frequent flyer community Mr. Pickles is known for his ability to analyze opportunities and push the boundaries on what is possible when it comes to earning miles and points. Last time Mr. Pickles discussed how to use BigCrumbs to meet minimum credit card spend to accelerate the accrual of the miles from the Chase British Airways 100K mile credit card offer that ended on May 6, 2011. Today, Mr. Pickles returns to tell you how you can earn an easy 23,500 American Airlines AAdvantage miles. You can follow Mr. Pickles on Twitter at @TheMrPickles.
The Quest for AA miles
Those of you who “know” me from Flyertalk and Milepoint know that I love to earn American Airlines Advantage points any way I can; ordering coins from the US Mint, opening checking accounts, buying diamond engagement rings, funding bank savings accounts with Citibank credit cards (dead now), even opening brokerage accounts. So far I have earned 2,852,393 American Airlines AAdvantage miles without ever flying on an American Airlines plane. Today I want to share with you a targeted offer from Citibank for loyal AAdvantage credit card holders. I know you are all loyal!
- Open a regular Citibank checking account and get 10,000 AA miles, open a Citigold checking account and get 23,500 AA miles (no dollar amount stated, and gold accounts are free for the first 2 months, longer if you meet requirements).
- Mention offer code: C26X, offer expires 7/31/11.
- Apply online at www.offer.citibank.com or by phone at 1-866-914-5409 or in person at a branch.
- For either offer, within 45 days set up either: One or more direct deposits OR two or more electronic bill payments, and continue for at least two months.
- EFT to another account will not count per the terms and conditions, which are subject to change at any time.
- I had my payroll department add an additional direct deposit for only $10 per pay period to meet the requirement.
- Keep the account open for at least two months, but miles post 90 days after the statement closes after meeting requirements, so I would keep it open until the miles post.
- You must be at least 18 years old or older.
- The bonus will be reported to the IRS on a 1099-Misc as required by applicable law (has not happened to me ever but YMMV).
- I would suggest against opening joint accounts. For a couple, each of you can earn by opening your own account.
- This offer is not valid for existing Citibank checking customers.
- Make sure you document your steps and keep a printout of screen shots if you apply online – Citibank is notorious for failing to give miles.
- Disclaimer – I do not get any commissions if you open a checking account.
Service fees for Citigold accounts
Per the Citibank website:
Open your Citigold interest checking account with a $500 minimum deposit8. There’s no monthly service fee for the first two statement cycles. After that, we’ll continue to waive the monthly service fee if the combined average balance of your eligible linked accounts is:
- $50,000 or more for all linked deposit and retirement accounts
- $100,000 or more across all your linked Citi accounts, excluding a first mortgage with Citibank
- $250,000 or more if your Citibank first mortgage is included in the total relationship.
Otherwise, a $30 monthly service fee will apply.
“mrpickles” has been writing on the Flyertalk.com forum since 2009 and more recently on the milepoint.com forum telling stories of earning huge amounts of frequent flyer miles in a short period of time. Primarily focusing on American Airlines AAdvantage miles mrpickles found notoriety in December 2009 when The Wall Street Journal wrote a front page article which featured a story that hinted about how mrpickles earned American Airlines lifetime Platinum status without ever stepping on an American Airlines flight. More recently he was featured as one of the Legends of Flyertalk at the Chicago Seminar 2010, a gathering of over 500 frequent flyers learning the tricks of the trade. mrpickles currently holds over 5.8 million miles and points spread over several programs and this year has top tier status with United, Air France, Continental, and Lifetime Gold status on American Airlines as well as Starwood SPG Platinum and Hilton Diamond status. You can follow Mr. Pickles on Twitter at @TheMrPickles or on The Mr Pickles blog.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees