Getting Points for Dining in Hotels
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
My parents recently stayed at the Andaz Wall Street in NY and overall were impressed by their stay. Since I wasn’t there to take a million pictures, I can’t do a full report, but it was overall a very positive visit.
We ate dinner one night in the restaurant Wall & Water and when the bill came, my Dad pulled out his American Express to pay and I nearly had a heart attack. He gave me a weird look like, “What? I have a points-earning credit card, what’s the problem?”
I scolded him and told him to charge it to his room and pay for the room with his Hyatt Visa. By paying with that card (which gives him Hyatt Platinum status), he earned 5 points per dollar base, plus 15% platinum bonus, plus 3 more points for using the Hyatt Visa. In total, the $400 bill which would have earned him 400 Amex points, netted him 3,800 Hyatt points instead.
So in general, it makes more sense to bill your hotel meal to your room, so you get the hotel points and credit card points.
Here’s another tip, even if you aren’t staying at a Starwood hotel, you may be able to get Starpoints for dining at a restaurant in the hotel – simply fax your receipt with your SPG number on it to 519-633-8557 or email it to email@example.com. You can even claim points for up to 6 months, so if you’ve dined at any Starwood hotel, it can’t hurt to send the receipt in for some points!
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees