Getting Points and Miles for Wedding, Graduation and Other Gifts
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Wedding and graduation season has officially begun, which means many of us will take substantial hits to our wallets as we shell out for gifts, travel and other assorted costs. In fact, my sister got married yesterday in sunny St. Augustine, so I am well aware of the costs, especially for a destination wedding. I’m by no means complaining about it – I’d do anything for my baby sister, but I did organize my spend to maximize points and miles.
For a gift, instead of cash I opted for an American Express Gift Card because I needed it to count towards my $2,500 spend requirement on the British Airways Visa. If you click my banner below (or this link) and use Promotion Code DSGRAD, 2nd Day Air shipping will be waived, so you only get charged the $3.95 service fee. If you want to get cash back, you can set up a Big Crumbs account like Mr. Pickles taught us a couple weeks ago, which will actually make you come out ahead on the purchase.
Some people have cautioned that Citi classifies these charges as Cash Advances, but I can confirm my Chase British Airways Visa listed it as a purchase (I blocked out the transaction ID and purchase price for security reasons):
Overall, most people view Amex Gift cards and cash as the same thing, so you might as well earn points and spend requirement for the purchase. Every point counts!
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.