Amazing Deal: 30 American Miles Per Dollar Donated to Susan G Komen and USO
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
I have to admit, there are times when I feel a little bit indulgent as a points junkie. I accrue hundreds of thousands of points and miles for pennies on the dollar and then redeem them for unbelievable trips around the world. While I wouldn’t give this gig up for anything, I do like to balance it out with good deeds. Whether its helping family or friends when they are in times of need or donating my expertise and resources to charity – I think it’s good to give back as much as possible.
When I get the chance to donate to charity and earn miles, I feel like it’s a total win-win. While I’m not a tax expert and will not give tax advice (you should consult a professional for that), I have a feeling you can write off some or all of your charity donations that earn you miles. Per the rules, “For charitable deduction purposes, each mile is valued at 2.75 cents per mile if fewer than 6,000 miles are awarded and 2.5 cents per mile if 6,000 or more miles are awarded.”
This is a great thing, because today American Airlines announced they are going to give 30 miles per dollar (registration required) donated to Susan G Komen and USO, as part of their 30th Anniversary Celebration. For those mathematically challenged, this means you’ll get the following miles per donation, with a maximum donation to each of the two charities.
$25 = 750 miles
$50 = 1,500 miles
$100 = 3,000 miles
$250 = 7,500 miles
$500 = 15,000 miles
$1,000 = 30,000 miles
$1,666.67 = 50,000 miles
Remember, all miles earned count towards million miler status, so for $3,335.34 you could gain 100,000 AA miles (enough for a roundtrip flight to Europe in business class) and get 10% of the way to 1 million miles and Lifetime Gold Status – all while doing a good deed.
Offer valid on contributions made online at www.uso.org/aadvantage or www.komen.com/aa May 25, 2011, through May 31, 2011. You will earn triple AAdvantage miles for each dollar that you donate during this period. Gift card purchases are not included in this promotion. Minimum $25 donation required per charitable organization. Mileage cap for a 12-month period is 50,000 AAdvantage miles per charitable organization for U.S. members; 60,000 AAdvantage miles per charitable organization for international members. AAdvantage bonus miles do not count toward elite-status qualification. Please allow up to eight weeks for the AAdvantage bonus miles to be posted to your AAdvantage account. Donations can only be accepted in U.S. dollars. All gifts are welcome; however, AAdvantage miles will only be earned for donations of at least $25 USD. AAdvantage bonus miles may post separately from AAdvantage base miles.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.