US Airways Spams, Then Insults Members
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Earlier this week, I blogged about US Airways generosity in sending out an email promising 1,000 free miles to their frequent flyer program members. Their catchy message teased us mileage junkies with the subject line : “They’re waiting in your account!” and then continued with, “Miles make you smile … and they get you where you want to be.” How cute!
Except US Airways was just kidding and sent these emails in error to hundreds of thousands of people. Doh!
While the miles weren’t in my account, I figured they’d be posted at some point this week. However, this morning when I landed in Stockholm I got the following email, which failed to coherently explain their boneheaded mistake:
“Earlier this week, we inadvertently delivered an email message to many of our Dividend Miles members’ email accounts. Unfortunately, one of those accounts was yours. Worse, this email incorrectly stated that we posted 1,000 Dividend Miles into your account. This was not accurate and the email message was sent in error.
We apologize for any inconvenience this might have caused you and appreciate your understanding.”
Actually I don’t understand, so there’s nothing for you to appreciate. In fact, I don’t appreciate your spam. If “miles make you smile” well, then, no miles makes me angry!
Especially coming off a huge data breach that affected major loyalty programs, I would think US Airways would be sensitive to SPAMming their loyalty program members and honor the 1,000 miles they promised everyone in their cute and obviously well-thought-out email. US Airways already mints miles like they’re going out of style, so what’s an extra 1,000 per member? I could see if it was 10,000, but 1,000 is so insignificant in the scheme of things. In fact, they were just offering new members up to 4,000 miles just for signing up for an account.
Overall, I am disappointed in US Airways’ response to their mistake. Hilton honored their 10,000 point text mistake that a rogue hotel offered in error, US Airways should do the same – especially considering the email ostensibly came from their corporate headquarters. I encourage everyone to email them to let them know your displeasure with their lack of professionalism.
While I don’t want to make a huge deal out of a thousand miles, I do think it’s important that we demand a level of corporate responsibility and respect from loyalty programs. If they email us about free miles and then take 5 days to issue an apology email – how many thousands of people checked their accounts or called to inquire if the promo was legitimate? While it may be a small amount of time per person, multiply that by hundreds of thousands of people and US Airways just wasted a whole lot of people’s time. Heck, I even wrote a blog post about it – and am writing another now. Okay, I need to stop wasting my time writing about a company that enjoys wasting mine!
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees