Cheap Hertz Points for Sale at Noon Today with Discover America Daily Getaways
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Daily Getaways continues its bonanza of cheap travel deals today, featuring Hertz points for as low as 4.3 cents a point each, which is a huge discount from the regular price of 20 cents a point. I am a loyal Hertz #1 Club Gold 5 Star member, so I’m very much a fan of my Hertz points. As a NYC resident I can redeem 500 points for free weekend nights and I’ve never once not been able to redeem points when I wanted a rental or even had to pay the peak point prices.
In fact, there are a number of Hertz Local Editions in NYC, so it’s very convenient because I can pick up from work and return it near my apartment at no extra charge. In fact, when you use points, fees are nominal – sometimes as low as $5 per rental (even though they will appear higher at booking, they almost always equate to almost nothing when you return the car and close out the bill). This program has saved me hundreds because NYC car rentals are often $90+ and I can earn a free rental after every $500 in spend. For me, that’s a 18% return which is much more than I’d get if I chose to accrue airline miles instead.
While today’s sale frames the purchases as, “$280 for 1 week standard vehicle rental,” you are actually just buying a block of points, which could be redeemed for a week-long rental – if you so chose. Just like the Hyatt sale, they don’t actually mandate how you redeem your points once you have them. If you click on the “More details” and then “Redemption” tab, it simply states “Within 10 business days of purchase, Hertz® will deposit 5,000 points in the Hertz #1 Awards® account given at time of purchase.”
So there you have it – a cheap way to get car rentals. 5,000 points will get me 10 weekend day rentals, so as long as I use an American Express card to purchase, I’ll get those 10 days for $252. I’ll gladly pay $25.20 for a daily NYC car rental! These go on sale at noon EST sharp, so I recommend having your browser up if you want in on these deals. The Hyatt packages were sold out almost instantly, though if you waited around you could pick a couple up shortly after the sale began. Here is the list of package choices:
5,000 points for $280, 5.6 cents/point ($252 with Amex 10% discount, 5 cents/point)
9,000 points for $430, 4.8 cents/point ($387 with Amex 10% discount, 4.3 cents/point)
15,000 points for $720, 4.8 cents/point ($648 with Amex 10% discount, 4.3 cents/point)
I do recommend calling Hertz at: 1(888)999-4900 to see if points can be used for the rental you have in mind before buying. I just did this for a Paris rental and discovered that I will save $399 by taking advantage and purchasing one of these packages!
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.