Chase Prorates Annual Fee for Mileage Debit Cards
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
I recently wrote about Chase’s decision to no longer award miles for debit card purchases. This is a shame because I know a lot of people who leverage debit cards to earn miles – whether they don’t believe in credit or simply can’t get a credit card, at least debit cards were an option.
A letter I received from Chase yesterday confirms the change. After July 12 I will, “no longer earn Continental OnePass miles when I use my Chase Continental Airlines Debit Card” – I’ll even get a $13.75 deposit for a prorated refund of my annual fee on April 19, 2011.
I haven’t gotten any notice from Bank of America, but I’m sure the time is coming on their co-branded debit cards. I never use my US Airways debit card anyway – it was just to get “hits” in the uber-lucrative Grand Slam promotion.
While this isn’t shocking, it is a reminder to make sure you have plans after July 12 since not earning miles and points on your spending isn’t an option! For a list of top credit card deals, check out the Top Deals page. Feel free to suggest any options if you feel I’ve made a glaring omission.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees