Avis Rentals for $33 and Elite Status On Sale Today
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
As part of the Daily Getaways promotion, Avis 1-day rental vouchers will be sold today at noon EST for $33 each (for up to a premium car) and their top tier Chairman’s Club membership is up for grabs for a whopping $1,115. Remember, you get a 10% discount if you use an Amex card, so this could save you a ton of money if you have car rentals in your future.
I was getting ready to snatch up a bunch of the day vouchers because car rentals in NYC often go for $80+, but I was dismayed to see NY Metro was excluded. Why the hate for NY?! Otherwise, I rent with Hertz and get a free weekend rental for every $500 I spend. So, saving a nominal amount on non-NYC rentals isn’t too much in my interest. However, if you live in a major city with expensive rental car rates, these vouchers may make sense.
As for the $1,115 for Chairman’s Club membership? I can’t see that many people getting in on this. The benefits per the T&C are pretty meager:
- Membership open to U.S. residents only. Must be 25 years or older to qualify for membership. U.S. driver’s license must be in good standing to qualify for membership. Additional restrictions may apply.
- Upgrade to best car is based on best available car at the time of rental when you reserve an intermediate-level car or higher. Free upgrade to the best car available does not apply to Cool Cars (X car group) or to long-term rentals (i.e., mini lease); you will have the option to rent the upgraded vehicle if available, at the applicable rate in effect at time of rental. To guarantee upgrade, you can reserve upgrade at the time of booking and pay the prevailing rate.
- Car deliveries in excess of 25 miles will be subject to an additional fee.
- Only spouses or significant others are permitted to pick up the vehicle in the member’s name. Additional driver fees will apply. Family members, coworkers, and other persons are not authorized representatives of the member and will not be permitted to pick up the vehicle and access member benefits
In my research, other benefits include getting dropped off at the terminal in the rental car (no annoying shuttle buses) and being able to buy gas for street prices. The upgrades seem to be inconsistent because with so few members in this program, each station can interpret eligible upgrades differently. Overall, I couldn’t justify paying this annual fee for the benefits, but please feel free to disagree with me if you feel otherwise!
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.