Avis Rentals for $33 and Elite Status On Sale Today
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
As part of the Daily Getaways promotion, Avis 1-day rental vouchers will be sold today at noon EST for $33 each (for up to a premium car) and their top tier Chairman’s Club membership is up for grabs for a whopping $1,115. Remember, you get a 10% discount if you use an Amex card, so this could save you a ton of money if you have car rentals in your future.
I was getting ready to snatch up a bunch of the day vouchers because car rentals in NYC often go for $80+, but I was dismayed to see NY Metro was excluded. Why the hate for NY?! Otherwise, I rent with Hertz and get a free weekend rental for every $500 I spend. So, saving a nominal amount on non-NYC rentals isn’t too much in my interest. However, if you live in a major city with expensive rental car rates, these vouchers may make sense.
As for the $1,115 for Chairman’s Club membership? I can’t see that many people getting in on this. The benefits per the T&C are pretty meager:
- Membership open to U.S. residents only. Must be 25 years or older to qualify for membership. U.S. driver’s license must be in good standing to qualify for membership. Additional restrictions may apply.
- Upgrade to best car is based on best available car at the time of rental when you reserve an intermediate-level car or higher. Free upgrade to the best car available does not apply to Cool Cars (X car group) or to long-term rentals (i.e., mini lease); you will have the option to rent the upgraded vehicle if available, at the applicable rate in effect at time of rental. To guarantee upgrade, you can reserve upgrade at the time of booking and pay the prevailing rate.
- Car deliveries in excess of 25 miles will be subject to an additional fee.
- Only spouses or significant others are permitted to pick up the vehicle in the member’s name. Additional driver fees will apply. Family members, coworkers, and other persons are not authorized representatives of the member and will not be permitted to pick up the vehicle and access member benefits
In my research, other benefits include getting dropped off at the terminal in the rental car (no annoying shuttle buses) and being able to buy gas for street prices. The upgrades seem to be inconsistent because with so few members in this program, each station can interpret eligible upgrades differently. Overall, I couldn’t justify paying this annual fee for the benefits, but please feel free to disagree with me if you feel otherwise!
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees