Air Canada Aeroplan Increases Most Award Levels
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In February I wrote a post about my twenty favorite airline awards and Air Canada Aeroplan showed up on that list four times. I’ve always liked most awards on their Star Alliance Award chart, but unfortunately all of them are going up in price on July 15, 2011.
The four I had highlighted were:
1) 100,000 miles for North America to Australia/New Zealand. As of July 15 that award increases to 135,000 miles, on par with most, 15k less than Delta
2) 80,000 miles for North America to Western Europe. As of July 15, 2011 that award increases to 90k, still 10-15k lower than other airlines
3) 100,000 miles for North America to Asia 1 in Business class. As of July 15, 2011 that award increases to 125k, 5-25k higher than other airlines
4) 120,000 miles for North America to Asia 1 in First Class, but built as a mini round-the-world with a stop in Europe. As of July 15, 2011 that award increases to 175k, 25-50k higher than other airlines. However, they still have industry leading routing flexibility and the mini round-the-world itineraries are safe – for now.
So the bad news is that there are 12.5 – 46% increases across the board. The good news is that we have until July 15, 2011 to book at the current lower levels. The other good news is that some awards are being brought down. These include mostly India, Middle East and Africa awards, which I’ve always thought were grossly overpriced.
You may be thinking to yourself, “Whatever, I don’t fly Air Canada so this doesn’t affect me.” Well, if you have American Express Membership Rewards points or hotel points (like Starwood), Aeroplan is an excellent transfer partner option if you want to book Star Alliance travel. Especially for Amex, since after September 30, 2011 Aeroplan and ANA will be the only Star Alliance transfer partners, so we will need to leverage these partnerships more than before (don’t worry, there will be more dedicated posts to this subject).
United/Continental and Delta have both made adjustments to their award charts recently and in my opinion, we’ve been spared (except for those who like to upgrade with United/Continental and Delta flyers who like Asia awards). I’m hoping this recent spate of changes does not encourage American or US Airways to make unfriendly changes.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees