37,500 US Airways Miles for $567.50
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
US Airways, the official consolidator of cheap Star Alliance miles, is at it again. This time it’s not as lucrative as some of their past buy-miles promotions, but it is also a lot simpler (no toolbar searches required). Simply transfer miles and get a 75% bonus, for a maximum of one bonus per member.
At this rate, you are buying US Airways miles for 1.5 cents a piece – much better than their normal rate of 2.75 cents each. What does that translate when it comes time to redeem awards? Before doing the math yourself, study their Star Alliance award chart, which has some pretty good redemption values.
For example, if you bought miles at 1.5 cents a piece, you could go to North Asia (includes China, Hong Kong, Japan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Macau, Mongolia, S. Korea, Taiwan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, and Uzbekistan) for $1,350 in business class on great carriers like Singapore Airlines, Thai and ANA. Or how about a ticket to Europe on Lufthansa, Swiss or Continental/United for $1,500 in business class- even during peak summer travel?
Key things to note:
1) The max amount of miles you can transfer is 50,000, so a maximum bonus of 37,500 per person.
2) Your account has to be open for at least 12 days in order to be eligible for the 75% bonus
3) You need to have the amount of miles you want to transfer, so this isn’t like a buy miles promotion where you can outright buy miles, you need to have miles in your account already in order to get the transfer bonus miles.
4) If you are signing up for a new account, you might as well try taking advantage of this promotion, which could give you up to 4,000 miles for free (it technically expired March 31, but it’s worth a shot!)
5) if you transfer miles to someone, that counts as your transaction and you cannot get the 75% bonus if someone transfers to you
So in my situation, I currently have 140,000 Dividend miles, which isn’t enough for two tickets in business class to Asia, which is where I want to take my Star Alliance miles. Utilizing this promotion, I can transfer 50,000 to my partner’s US Airways account and he’d receive 87,500 miles and I’d be at 90,000. I could then transfer 3,000 Starwood to his account to top him up to get to the 90,000 miles needed for the award.
Overall, its a quick way to earn some Star Alliance miles on the cheap, but work through the logistics first.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees