20% Discount on Virgin America Point Redemptions
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
I hear Virgin America is a really good airline, but I’ve never chosen to fly them because they have a frequent flyer program that doesn’t interest me. For example they don’t have an option for international awards (the reason why I collect miles/points), they don’t have an elite program and their earning of points is based on spend. So my $300 JFK-LAX coach ticket that earns me roughly 5,000 American (or Delta) miles, would only earn me 1,500 Elevate points. Beyond that, point redemption is also revenue based, which is the real deal killer. So if I wanted to redeem for a $2,500 JFK-LAX business class ticket, it would cost me 119,000-156,000 points. Thus, it would take 79-104 roundtrips in coach to earn one business class roundtrip on Virgin America, whereas American will give me a free business class roundtrip after 10 coach roundtrips (less if I am an elite member). Not only that, American is in an alliance, so I can get two business class JFK-LAX roundtrips for $95 and $10 in fees for the British Airways Visa 100,000 mile bonus – much better than spending $23,000+ on Virgin America flights!
Anyway, if you do have Virgin America points, they are giving 20% discounts if you redeem by Saturday April 23, 2011. A no brainer if you were planning to redeem points anyway.
“Redeem now to fly at this special rate in the Main Cabin between April 26 and June 15, or from August 25 to October 27. And remember: you can book reward flights on any seat, at any time, with no blackout dates.”
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.