20% Discount on Virgin America Point Redemptions
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
I hear Virgin America is a really good airline, but I’ve never chosen to fly them because they have a frequent flyer program that doesn’t interest me. For example they don’t have an option for international awards (the reason why I collect miles/points), they don’t have an elite program and their earning of points is based on spend. So my $300 JFK-LAX coach ticket that earns me roughly 5,000 American (or Delta) miles, would only earn me 1,500 Elevate points. Beyond that, point redemption is also revenue based, which is the real deal killer. So if I wanted to redeem for a $2,500 JFK-LAX business class ticket, it would cost me 119,000-156,000 points. Thus, it would take 79-104 roundtrips in coach to earn one business class roundtrip on Virgin America, whereas American will give me a free business class roundtrip after 10 coach roundtrips (less if I am an elite member). Not only that, American is in an alliance, so I can get two business class JFK-LAX roundtrips for $95 and $10 in fees for the British Airways Visa 100,000 mile bonus – much better than spending $23,000+ on Virgin America flights!
Anyway, if you do have Virgin America points, they are giving 20% discounts if you redeem by Saturday April 23, 2011. A no brainer if you were planning to redeem points anyway.
“Redeem now to fly at this special rate in the Main Cabin between April 26 and June 15, or from August 25 to October 27. And remember: you can book reward flights on any seat, at any time, with no blackout dates.”
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees