Understanding How FICO Scores are Calculated
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
As you can tell by my posts on top credit cards, opening up lucrative points-earning credit cards can be the quickest way to amass point wealth.
Most people ask me about the negatives of opening up a new credit card. I’m certainly not a credit expert, but from my understanding and experience, opening up new credit cards does make a minor impact on your credit score. However, if your credit is strong and you aren’t about to apply for a mortgage, I say the potential ding on your credit is well worth the points. As someone who lives in NYC and isn’t going to buy a home anytime soon, I might as well leverage my good credit for other positives.. like free first class airfare.
Points credit card expert Frugal Travel Guy, whose blog has a lot of great information on maximizing points from credit cards, posted a link today from an interview from the CEO of the FICO score company. Click here to understand how your FICO score is calculated.
- Earn up to 100,000 bonus miles and 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs). Earn 80,000 bonus miles and 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $5,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Plus, earn an additional 20,000 bonus miles after your first anniversary of Card Membership. Offer Expires 4/1/2020.
- New! With Status Boost™, earn 15,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $30,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to four times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- New! Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases.
- Earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Complimentary access into the Delta SkyClubs® for you when traveling on a Delta flight.
- New! Enjoy complimentary access to The Centurion® Lounge when you book your Delta flight with your Reserve Card.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free and Main Cabin 1 Priority Boarding on Delta flights.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees