Traveling Without Elite Status (Rude Awakening)
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Sorry if I’ve been remiss on blog posts this weekend, but I’ve been enjoying a sunny weekend in Miami, courtesy of Starwood Hotels (I won 2 free weekend nights this summer through a Twitter promotion they ran). I’ll have a full report about that, including South Beach recommendations, but in the meantime I’m currently sitting in Miami airport waiting for my flight to JFK.
The difference with this flight is that we booked American because it was 3 times cheaper than Delta, my preferred carrier where I have Platinum (soon to be Diamond)status. So I am in a regular, non-exit row coach seat in the back of the bus. Not only that, I don’t have Admirals Club Lounge access and they aren’t a part of the Priority Pass network, so I’m stuck waiting in the loud terminal like everyone else.
So far, I tried to get on an earlier flight, but was bumped by passengers with AA Elite Status, have had to change in a dirty bathroom and am about to lose battery because there are NO freaking outlets anywhere near the gate (and I refuse to sit in the middle of the walk way like a bum).
To say the least, its been an eye-opening experience and it makes me really value how well I am treated as an elite flyer. Full report to come this week, assuming I survive my flight in coach!
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees