Changes to Continental OnePass Elite Program
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Continental announced some major changes today that brings their program closely in line with United. These changes mostly affect their top tier flyers. Big things to note:
1) System-wide Upgrades can no longer be used on cheap fare classes S, T, K, L and G in BusinessFirst markets
2) You now need 120 segments, instead of 100, in order to reach top tier.
3) Members will earn two Regional Upgrades after completing 75,000 EQMs or 90 EQPs. Two additional Regional Upgrades will be issued for every additional 25,000 EQMs or 30 EQPs. Regional Upgrades, valid for upgrades to First Class, can be confirmed as early as the time of booking. This is a positive for Continental flyers, but a negative for most United flyers who got 8 regional upgrades a year for flying 10,000 miles a quarter. Now they need to wait until they hit 75,000 EQMs and will only earn 8 CR1s if they hit 150,000 EQMs.
4) United/Continental is confirming their elite program in 2012 will have 4 levels: 25,000, 50,000, 75,000, 100,000
5) The merged airline is moving towards the Continental style “higher fare for upgrade” model, which is probably going to be more profitable in the long-run
6) Not a peep was mentioned about Economy Plus. I wouldn’t be surprised if Economy Plus is eliminated in order to pack more seats on the plane and instead elites are guaranteed exit rows/bulkheads, which is what most airlines do.
Overall, my feeling is that most United/Continental flyers will be negatively benefited by these changes. A few uber-flyers may see a nominal change in the amount of regional upgrades, but for the most part, flyers will have to fly and pay more to get the upgrades they have become accustomed to getting.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees