Delta Announces Service to Iceland
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
I’ve always wanted to visit Iceland, but have never been interested in flying Iceland Air or Iceland Express- primarily because you don’t (currently) earn miles on those carriers- and what’s the point of flying coach if you can’t earn miles?
Recently Iceland Air announced a partnership with Alaska Airlines, with unknown mileage earning/burning capabilities. This was good to hear- finally a way to use miles to go to Alaska, although I have no Alaska, they are a transfer partner of Starwood Preferred Guest.
Today, Delta announced non-stop JFK-KEF service, beginning in June 2011. This daily 757 service is equipped with their BusinessElite cabin. At least now if I buy a ticket, I will be able to select an exit row as a Medallion and the flight isn’t really that long- 7 miles longer than JFK-SFO.
While Delta still has some issues to work out with their frequent flyer program (primarily around a functioning award calendar and sane redemption levels), you can’t doubt their international presence, especially as a NYC based flier. They currently service all 6 continents and have a huge European operation from NYC. I’d like for them to increase their Caribbean and South American expansion from JFK, but I’ll take what I can get for now- a nice hot Icelandic geothermal dip!
See here for a quick overview on things to do in Iceland from esteemed travel blogger Nomadic Matt.
If you are a Delta flyer who is looking to bank some extra miles this card is a great addition for your wallet. While you'll earn 2 miles per dollar on Delta purchases and 1 mile per dollar on everything else, you'll also have access to other perks like priority boarding, a first bag checked free and discounted Delta Sky Club access.
- Earn 30,000 bonus miles after you use your new Card to make $1,000 in purchases within your first 3 months and a $50 Statement Credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months.
- Earn 2 miles on every eligible dollar spent on purchases made directly with Delta.
- Earn 1 mile for every eligible dollar spent on purchases.
- Check your first bag free on Delta flights – that’s a savings of up to $240 for a family of 4 roundtrip.
- Receive Main Cabin 1 Priority Boarding on Delta flights, stow your carry-on bag and settle in sooner.
- Enjoy a $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $95.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees