This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend that you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency, such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using the American Express Platinum Card, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
Update 02/16/17: Oneworld airlines are offering even cheaper fares than we saw yesterday, and more airlines are joining the fun, including SkyTeam carriers China Airlines and Korean Air. If you’re trying to earn elite status or get those last few miles for an award redemption, you can now do so across a variety of carriers and alliances, all while having an inexpensive vacation in Southeast Asia.
Here are some more examples of what you can book:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Ho Chi Minh City (SGN) for $519 round-trip on Oneworld carriers in May:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Bangkok (BKK) for $565 round-trip on China Airlines in September:
Right now we’re seeing great fares from several US cities to the popular Southeast Asian destinations of Bangkok (BKK) and Ho Chi Minh City (SGN), starting at just $519 round-trip. All flights are on Japan Airlines, which features one of the best coach and business-class products in the sky. There’s plenty of availability from Chicago (ORD), Los Angeles (LAX) and New York (JFK) from early March through May, and then again from the end of August through the end of 2017. .
Airline: American Airlines, Cathay Pacific, China Airlines, Japan Airlines, and Korean Airlines
Route: ORD, JFK, LAX to BKK and SGN
Cost: $533+ round-trip in economy
Dates: March – May, August-December 2017
Booking Link: Priceline
Pay With: The Platinum Card from American Express (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, Premier Rewards Gold Card from American Express, Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or Chase Sapphire Preferred (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Ho Chi Minh City (SGN) for $533 round-trip in November:
New York City (JFK) to Ho Chi Minh City (SGN) for $551 round-trip in November:
Chicago (ORD) to Bangkok (BKK) for $609 round-trip in September:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as the American Express Platinum Card (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express Premier Rewards Gold or Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
Featured image of Ho Chi Minh City courtesy of Getty Images.
If you’re able to score one of these tickets, please share the good news in the comments below!
With great transfer partners like United and Hyatt, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Named Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, July 2016
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards