This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Yesterday, we noticed that Virgin Atlantic was pulled from American Express’ list of Membership Rewards transfer partners.
The airline has been making some drastic moves recently. Last week, it made major changes to its Flying Club Program and ended its partnership with Virgin America. We figured that this was just one of the unannounced changes to the revised program.
But, we reached out to American Express for confirmation. Good news for those still hoping to use Virgin Atlantic’s new award program: Amex confirmed that this is a temporary issue, caused by “maintenance” on Virgin Atlantic’s end of the connection. Apparently this same maintenance is preventing Virgin Atlantic reps from booking awards, so Membership Rewards customers aren’t missing out during the downtime. Amex believes that transfers to the airline should be back up and running within a day or two, though others have been reporting November 15.
An Amex rep also confirmed that there’s no expected change to the transfer ratio between Membership Rewards and Virgin Atlantic’s Flying Club Program. And with the new changes to the Flying Club Program, these points might be more valuable than ever for certain off-peak flights.
Are you hoping to transfer MR points to Virgin Atlantic once the connection is reestablished?
While this premium card has one of the highest annual fees on the market, it has several valuable perks that could make it worthwhile, depending on your travel patterns. These include a $200 annual airline rebate, lounge access, free Hilton Gold status and free Starwood Preferred Guest Gold status.
- Earn 40,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $3,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- 5X points for flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 a year for baggage fees and more at one airline. Terms Apply.
- As a Platinum Card Member, you can enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations worldwide. Terms Apply.
- Enroll to enjoy the benefits of complimentary Hilton HHonors™ Gold Status with your Platinum Card.®
- No interest charges because you pay your balance in full each month.
- Terms and Conditions apply.
- See Rates & Fees