This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
United’s MileagePlus X app is already great for earning extra United miles on everyday spending, and it just got even easier to earn extra United miles to help you toward your next award flight: Uber is now a MileagePlus X app merchant. You can now earn 1x United miles for every dollar spent purchasing virtual Uber gift cards through the MileagePlus X app. Gift card purchases can be made from anywhere between $15 and $200 per transaction.
While 1x isn’t a great rate, remember that this is on top of any points you’ll receive for the purchase on your credit card. Additionally, as we near the end of the calendar year, this should also be another easy way to cash out your airline credit from your Platinum Card from American Express ($200 per calendar year) or Premier Rewards Gold Card from American Express ($100 per calendar year). However, as we’ve already used up our credits, we haven’t been able to confirm yet that this purchase will qualify. So, you might want to test with a small purchase first.
Speaking of Uber, make sure to keep in mind all of the current and upcoming promotions:
- Free Uber Rides in New York for Amex Cardholders on Small Business Saturday (this Saturday)
- Amex and Uber Partner for Free Rides From Select Airports
- Uber Is Now Selling Gift Cards for Use Within the US
- Uber/Starwood Partnership to Earn Up to 4 Starpoints per Dollar
And, if you’re in certain cities, you can get up to $10 off a ride through Sunday (good for existing users):
- San Francisco: HORNITOSSF
- San Diego: HORNITOSSD
- Dallas: HORNITOSDAL
You can also now buy Uber gift cards through Amazon, which can be a great way of maximizing the 10% cashback bonus from the Blue Cash Everyday Card from American Express or Blue Cash Preferred Card from American Express if you’ve signed up since mid-October.
Uber joins the dozens of other merchants that have already partnered with the MileagePlus X app. If you haven’t done so already, check out the list of “Black Friday/Cyber Monday” merchants, where you can earn up to 5x United miles per dollar spent at other merchants.
Featured image courtesy of Uber.
Will you use the MileagePlus X app for Uber purchases this holiday season?
With great transfer partners like United and Hyatt, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Named Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, July 2016
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards