This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here – Chase Sapphire Reserve
What could be nicer than a free ride on a cold day? Or any kind of day for that matter. In September, ridesharing giant Uber announced that it was set to begin selling gift cards at select retailers. And as recently as last week, Uber announced that the gift cards are available for purchase online.
You can personalize your cards with a special design and note, in addition to selecting your preferred credit amount. Gift cards can be purchased in denominations between $10-$500. The recipient will get an email with a code to input directly in their Uber app — from there, all they have to do is ride!
Note that although unfortunate, Uber gift cards aren’t coded as travel purchases. So while you may be buying a $500 gift card for someone, you’ll be missing out on the possible 3x points you’d get with the Chase Sapphire Reserve if you were to pay for someone’s individual ride directly through the app. Even though purchasing online might be more convenient, Uber gift cards are also sold at select retailers around the country — check out this map to find the closest merchant to you. Also, keep in mind that if you don’t already have an Uber account, you can sign up here to receive a free ride (up to $20) from TPG.
With great transfer partners like United and Hyatt, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Named Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, July 2016
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards