This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It’s probably no huge surprise that the TSA agents here at home find some pretty unusual items that travelers try to sneak past security checkpoints. There’s been brass knuckles, flaming balls, cane swords and more. But, what is surprising is that one of the best airports in the world, located in one of the safest countries in world has seen a dramatic increase in the number of confiscated goods — Singapore’s Changi Airport (SIN).
Between January and September of this year, SIN security has confiscated more than one million items — a number that’s 9x higher than the number of items confiscated last year. Passengers handed over 142,000 items like scissors and hoverboards, as well as about 1.2 million liquids, gels, perfumes and makeup.
In order to combat the increase in confiscations, SIN has teamed with the Civil Aviation Authority of Singapore (CAAS) to pass out brochures to tourists at more than 20 hotels in Singapore before they go to the airport for their departing flights. But, that oftentimes isn’t enough, and additional research is needed. If you’re flying through Singapore’s Changi Airport in the near future, be sure to check ahead to make sure any of your belongings aren’t forbidden by SIN’s guidelines. Especially check for the two biggest culprits — scooters and hoverboards.
H/T: View From the Wing
With great transfer partners like United and Hyatt, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Named Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, July 2016
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards