This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
With a new partnership between Lufthansa and Surf Air, you can now redeem your Miles & More miles for either a round-trip flight or an all-you-can-fly Surf Air membership. With the new partnership, Miles & More members will receive an invitation to redeem their miles for one of the two options with Surf Air.
By flying private with Surf Air, you’ll have access to the carrier’s entire US network. Here’s how the Miles & More miles redemptions break down for each of the options:
- Starting at 25,000 miles — A “private” (shared with other passengers) round-trip flight anywhere in the Surf Air network
- Starting at 50,000 miles — An all-you-can-fly membership in California and Las Vegas for one month (Las Vegas flights are serviced by Advanced Air, LLC)
Surf Air’s route network serves 12 airports (Burbank, Hawthorne, San Carlos, Oakland, San Jose, Santa Barbara, Truckee, Carlsbad, Napa, Monterey, Palm Springs and Las Vegas) with up to 90 daily flights. If you were to pay with cash, the rate for a round-trip trial flight is $500 (if you book through November 30), and the all-you-can-fly pass for one month costs $1,950.
Based on TPG’s most recent valuations, Lufthansa Miles & More miles are worth 1.4 cents apiece. If you’re able to take advantage of these redemptions at the lowest levels (25,000 miles and 50,000 miles), you could be getting some great value out of your Miles & More points — especially for the all-you-can-fly pass. Based on TPG’s valuations, you’d be paying the equivalent of about $700 for the all-you-can-fly pass and about $350 for the round-trip flight — a good redemption for both options.
The only thing that would make this a somewhat sour deal is that Surf Air’s network is fairly limited. If you’re based on the East Coast, this might not be the best redemption for you. However, if you travel often within California and between CA and Vegas, this could give you great value. If you need more miles in order to get these Surf Air redemptions, consider signing up for the Miles & More World Elite MasterCard. The card comes with a sign-up bonus of 35,000 miles after you spend $1,000 in the first 90 days. You’ll earn 2 miles per dollar on ticket purchases from Lufthansa and Miles & More partners, and 1 miles per dollar on all other purchases.
With great transfer partners like United and Hyatt, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Named Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, July 2016
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards