This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Air Canada will be the first North American airline to offer expecting or new moms or dads who take parental leave from work the opportunity to postpone their elite status with the airline’s Altitude program. The Altitude Status Extension will begin in the 2017 elite benefit year and allows you to extend your elite benefits for a minimum of 12 months, although it’s not clear whether parents will retain elite benefits during their leave. This program is available to parents who have adopted or taken in a foster child as well.
In order to qualify for the Altitude Status Extension, the new parent must send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org along with proof of parental leave from your employer, along with a birth certificate or proof of adoption or fostering. Air Canada’s Status Extension follows a new program from Qantas called Parental Pause which allows elite members to earn a Status Hold for up to 18 months.
Any new or expecting parents going to take advantage of the Altitude Status Extension? Let us know in the comments below.
With great transfer partners like United and Hyatt, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Named Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, July 2016
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards