This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Just because your flight is a quick hop doesn’t mean you can’t travel in style — at least in the case of this new option from Emirates. Starting December 1, 2016, the carrier will operate the world’s shortest A380 flight, from Dubai (DXB) to Doha (DOH).
Prior to this announcement, the airline already flew the shortest A380 route: Dubai to Kuwait. But now Emirates is breaking its own record; the distance between DXB and DOH is all of 235 miles, and the flight is blocked at 1 hour and 10 minutes to 1 hour and 20 minutes.
For the trivia fans out there, note that this isn’t the world’s shortest international flight. That record is held by Austrian carrier People’s Viennaline, which operates a flight blocked at just 20 minutes.
DXB to DOH is one of Emirates’ most frequently operated flights, with scheduled departures nine times a day and more than 700,000 passengers since January alone. Swapping in an A380 on this route will increase passenger load and, of course, give travelers the chance to experience Emirates’ flagship aircraft.
The A380 operating this route will have 429 seats in economy, 76 lie-flat seats in business and 14 suites on the upper deck. And, according to Emirates, even though it’s a short flight, passengers will still have the opportunity to try out that famous onboard bar. (Though there’s no mention of whether the shower spa will be open, though it’s safe to assume it won’t be.)
If you want to add the flight to your itinerary, here’s the schedule:
- EK 841 — Dubai (DXB) 7:45am Departure ⇒ Doha (DOH) 8:05am Arrival
- EK 842 — Doha (DOH) 9:50am Departure ⇒ Dubai (DXB) 12:00pm Arrival
Emirates notes that the timing of this flight allows for connections of less than four hours to destinations including Amsterdam, London Heathrow, Milan, NYC, Paris and Rome.
Featured image courtesy of Shutterstock.
Would you go out of your way to book this A380 flight?
With some great bonus categories and an annual fee that’s waived for the first year, the American Express Premier Rewards Gold Card has a lot going for it. If you don’t have PRG, now’s as good a time as any to add it to your wallet, as Amex added some great new benefits several months back.
- Receive 25,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months of Card Membership.
- 3X points for flights booked directly with airlines. 2X points at US restaurants, US gas stations, and US supermarkets. 1X points on other purchases. Terms and limitations apply.
- No matter where you're traveling, when you use your Premier Rewards Gold Card there are no foreign transaction fees from American Express.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit. Up to $100 a year in baggage fees and more at one airline.
- Get a $75 hotel credit on qualifying charges, plus a room upgrade upon arrival, if available with The Hotel Collection at americanexpress.com/hc. Terms apply.
- There is a $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $195.
- Terms and limitations apply. See Rates & Fees