This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The debate over the use of drones — especially within commercial airspace where they can interfere with low-flying aircraft — can be a heated one. Just this week, there was a close call in Canada with a possible drone, which resulted in two minor injuries to flight attendants when the pilots had to maneuver the aircraft in order to avoid the object. But, when used with caution, they can be fun to use — and Disney’s displaying just that by offering spectators a holiday-themed choreographed light show.
This winter, Disney has teamed with Intel to send 300 drones into the Orlando sky to create a giant drone-powered light show. The devices are Intel’s Shooting Star drones, the same ones the company used to break the Guinness World Record for the most drones operated by one person — a total of 500 at once. You can watch the video of Intel breaking that world record below:
Disney worked with the Federal Aviation Administration in order to get approval to fly the drones in such a mass number. In fact, Disney was granted a waiver from the FAA in order to fly drones over its parks at night. Now, Disney will be using 300 of Intel’s drones to hold a twice-nightly show in Orlando.
The show, “Starbright Holidays — An Intel Collaboration,” started last night at the Disney Springs resort in Orlando, Florida, where the show will continue through the winter. It’s sure to be a spectacle, so if you’re in the Orlando area, consider heading out to see the 300 Shooting Stars at work.
Are you planning to watch the Intel drone performance at Disney?
Featured image courtesy of Intel.
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Named Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, July 2016
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards