This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend that you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency, such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using the American Express Platinum Card, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through the Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
Here’s an excellent deal for international travel — multiple airlines are offering flights from many US cities to Barcelona (BCN) and Madrid (MAD) from just $406 round-trip! Flights from New York, Philadelphia, Miami and Boston are all eligible for this fantastic offer, though keep in mind not all of these flights are nonstop. In fact, passengers from Philadelphia will have to complete one leg operated by Amtrak from Philadelphia’s 30th Street train station to Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR) before boarding a flight to Spain. These discounted fares are available for departures from December 2016 through April 2017. Considering itineraries such as these normally sell for upwards of $800, this represents a fantastic deal to some of Europe’s most dynamic cities.
Airline: American, Delta, United, TAP Portugal
Route: US cities to BCN and MAD
Cost: $406 round-trip in economy
Dates: December – April 2017
Booking Link: Orbitz or Expedia
Pay With: The Platinum Card from American Express (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, Premier Rewards Gold Card from American Express, Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or Chase Sapphire Preferred (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
New York (JFK) to Barcelona (BCN) for $406 round-trip on TAP Portugal in February:
Boston (BOS) to Barcelona (BCN) for $406 round-trip on Delta in March:
Philadelphia (ZFV) to Madrid (MAD) for $482 round-trip on United in April:
Miami (MIA) to Madrid (MAD) for $482 round-trip on American in February:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as the American Express Platinum Card (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express Premier Rewards Gold or Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
If you’re able to score one of these tickets, please share the good news in the comments below!
Featured image of Barcelona courtesy of Getty Images.
With great transfer partners like United and Hyatt, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Named Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, July 2016
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards