This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend that you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency, such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using the American Express Platinum Card, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through the Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
Update 11/22/16 1:03pm ET: United has joined in on the fun as well. Better yet, as The Flight Deal points out, all of United’s fares appear to be booking in the “V” fare class, which means 1K and Global Services members can upgrade these flights using Global Premier Upgrades. Here’s a sample booking from San Diego to Dublin for just $398 round-trip — again, in “V” class:
Yesterday, we wrote about the extraordinary sale Delta was having on US flights to Spain from just $400 round-trip. Today, it gets even better — you can book round-trip tickets from pretty much anywhere in the US to most of Europe from just $401. There’s plenty of availability for departures from December through May 2017 on American or Delta depending on your desired destination. Since so many cities are included in this deal, you’ll be sure to find at least a few flights from your local airport to Europe at these amazing prices. Even if the exact city you want to visit isn’t part of the deal, the prices are good enough that adding another flight within Europe would hardly be a big deal.
Airline: American, Delta, Virgin Atlantic
Route: US — Europe
Cost: $401+ round-trip
Dates: December 2016 — May 2017
Booking Link: Orbitz or Expedia
Pay With: The Platinum Card from American Express (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, Premier Rewards Gold from American Express, Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or Chase Sapphire Preferred (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Dallas (DFW) to Barcelona (BCN) for $401 round-trip in December:
Newark (EWR) to Amsterdam (AMS) for $402 round-trip in January:
Charlotte (CLT) to Brussels (BRU) for $404 round-trip in March:
Fort Lauderdale (FLL) to Paris (ORY) for $435 round-trip in March:
Seattle (SEA) to Vienna (VIE) for $487 round-trip in May:
San Francisco (SFO) to London (LHR) for $504 round-trip in March:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as the American Express Platinum Card (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express Premier Rewards Gold or Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
Featured image of Vienna courtesy of Getty Images.
If you’re able to score one of these tickets, please share the good news in the comments below!
H/T: Thrifty Travler
With great transfer partners like United and Hyatt, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Named Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, July 2016
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards