This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend that you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency, such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using the American Express Platinum Card, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
When it’s cold and snowy on the East Coast this winter, nothing sounds better than escaping to sunny Southern California. Fortunately, American Airlines has a great sale on flights from Newark (EWR) to Santa Ana (SNA) from just $135 round-trip, available for departures from December through February 2017. Santa Ana, also known as John Wayne Airport, is an airport in Orange County about 40 miles south of Los Angeles and is a gateway to many Southern California communities such as Newport Beach and Laguna Beach. Note that these flights have a layover in Dallas (DFW), while some dates do require an additional stop in Charlotte (CLT) on the return, but for these prices, it’s hard to say no. Book quickly if you want to grab one of these great deals, as availability is limited.
Airline: American Airlines
Route: EWR — SNA
Cost: $135 round-trip in economy
Dates: December 2016 — February 2017
Booking Link: Orbitz or Expedia
Pay With: The Platinum Card from American Express (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, Premier Rewards Gold Card from American Express, Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or Chase Sapphire Preferred (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Newark (EWR) to Santa Ana (SNA) for $135 round-trip over Valentine’s Day:
Newark (EWR) to Santa Ana (SNA) for $138 round-trip in January:
After American Airlines’ recent change to a revenue-based mileage program, you’re not going to earn many award miles from these cheap flights. But, these flights can be an excellent way of jump starting your elite mileage earnings in 2017. If you have Citi ThankYou points, you can book with miles through the Citi portal to get bonus AA award miles — while still getting the same amount of elite-qualifying miles (EQM).
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as the American Express Platinum Card (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express Premier Rewards Gold or Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
Featured image of Newport Beach, California courtesy of Getty Images.
If you’re able to score one of these tickets, please share the good news in the comments below!
H/T: Thirty Traveler
With great transfer partners like United and Hyatt, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Named Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, July 2016
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards