This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend that you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency, such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using the American Express Platinum Card, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
Dreading the long, gray winters that are all too typical in the Northeast? Look no further — JetBlue is offering incredible fares on transcon flights between New York (JFK) and sunny, hot Palm Springs, California (PSP) from just $132 round-trip (and nonstop), valid for flights between now and March 2017. This presents a great opportunity to use some TrueBlue points as well, with roundtrip flights pricing out to 7,800 points + $11.20 in taxes and fees. Plus, if you book by November 14 and travel between November 10 and January 14, 2017, you’ll receive a 15% rebate on award bookings. But wait — it gets better. If you have the JetBlue Plus Card, you’ll receive an additional 10% rebate, meaning you’re going to save a total of 25% on a points redemption.
Since these fares are so cheap, it also presents a fantastic opportunity to take advantage of the $100 Visa Infinite airfare credit, available to those who have the Ritz-Carlton Rewards Credit Card. If you were to book these flights with this discount, you’d be looking at paying just $82 per person on a round-trip, nonstop transcontinental flight. Not too shabby!
Route: JFK — PSP
Cost: $132 round-trip in economy
Dates: December — March 2017
Booking Link: Orbitz or Expedia
Pay With: The Platinum Card from American Express (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, Premier Rewards Gold Card from American Express, Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or Chase Sapphire Preferred (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
New York (JFK) to Palm Springs (PSP) for $132 round-trip in January:
New York (JFK) to Palm Springs (PSP) for $132 round-trip in March:
New York (JFK) to Palm Springs (PSP) for 7,800 points + $11.20 round-trip in March:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as the American Express Platinum Card (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express Premier Rewards Gold or Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
Featured image of Palm Springs, California courtesy of Getty Images.
H/T: The Flight Deal
If you’re able to score one of these tickets, please share the good news in the comments below!
With great transfer partners like United and Hyatt, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Named Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, July 2016
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards