This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Great news for transatlantic fliers: British Airways just extended the 10% discount for buying British Airways flights with a Visa card. While this promotion is targeted at British Airways Visa Signature Card holders, there have been plenty of reports from readers that they’ve successfully applied this promo code to British Airways flight purchases made using other Visa credit cards.
With the ever-dropping transatlantic economy flight prices, this promotion won’t save you as many dollars as before. But, 10% off is great anytime you can get it, and it can make a jump across the pond even cheaper. As British Airways is working to compete directly with Norwegian on price, this promotion will actually make British Airways cheaper while still earning you Avios or American Airlines miles.
- 10% off the entire purchase of British Airways flights
- Promotional website: www.ba.com/Chase10
- Promo code: CARDOFFERU
- Latest departure date: December 31, 2017
- All flights must be on British Airways marketed and operated flights (more about that later)
Why it’s a Good Deal
British Airways is known for its sky-high fuel surcharges and London’s Heathrow Airport is known for its sky-high taxes and fees. Some promotions — such as the $65-400 off British Airways promo — only discount the base fare. This promotion is great for discounting 10% off of the total ticket price.
Say you’re looking at a flight costing $984 round-trip: $295 base fare, $516 carrier imposed charges and $173 taxes. The 10% discount applies to the entire $984 — not just the $295 base fare or even the $811 base fare + carrier imposed charges. Even the $173 in taxes is discounted 10%!
And your family and friends can benefit from this promotion too. The 10% off isn’t limited to just the British Airways Visa Signature cardholder’s ticket. The terms allow you to save 10% off of everyone’s ticket when you “book up to eight friends and family members traveling on the same flight.”
The discount is eligible for any British Airways or OpenSkies class of service:
- British Airways: World Traveller (economy), World Traveller Plus (premium economy), Club World (business) and First Class
- OpenSkies: Eco (economy), Prem Plus (premium economy) and Biz Bed (business)
Make it a Really Good Deal
- AARP discount: This 10% discount is stackable with the AARP discount, which was recently extended for bookings through January 31, 2017. If you’re a member of AARP (anyone can join for just $16 per year), you can save $65 off economy, $130 off premium economy and $400 off of business/first class. If you’re interested in combining these offers, we have a step-by-step guide for you here.
- Transatlantic bonus: If you’re traveling in the next few weeks, this year’s British Airways fall promotion will let you earn triple the Avios you’d normally earn from a flight — up to 900% of flight miles for first-class tickets.
Limitations on Departure Airports
All flight segments must be on British Airways or OpenSkies metal, meaning that the plane needs to be operated by British Airways or OpenSkies. That means that you can’t fly any segments operated by American Airlines, Iberia, Finnair or any other partner.
Since you won’t be able to connect domestically, you’re limited to departing out of airports that British Airways/OpenSkies operate. Thankfully, the list is fairly long:
Atlanta (ATL), Austin (AUS), Baltimore (BWI), Boston (BOS), Charlotte (CLT), Chicago (ORD), Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW), Denver (DEN), Detroit (DTW), Fort Lauderdale (FLL – beginning July 6, 2017), Houston (IAH), Las Vegas (LAS), Los Angeles (LAX), Miami (MIA), New Orleans (MSY – resumes March 27, 2017), New York (JFK), Newark (EWR), Oakland (OAK – beginning March 28, 2017), Orlando (MCO), Philadelphia (PHL), Phoenix (PHX), Pittsburgh (PIT), San Diego (SAN), San Francisco (SFO), San Jose (SJC), Seattle (SEA), Tampa (TPA), Washington, DC (IAD)
While plenty of readers have been able to use any Visa card to get the bonus, technically this promotion requires paying with the British Airways Visa Signature card. If you don’t have the card yet you can earn 50,000 bonus Avios after spending $3,000 in the first three months.
Featured image courtesy of British Airways.
Have you used the 10% discount on British Airways flights.
With great transfer partners like United and Hyatt, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Named Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, July 2016
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards