This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Train buffs rejoice, as the city of Berlin has announced that it will be adding retro train cars to the Berlin subway system, according to The Local. The cars are vintage locomotives that were built after World War II and used in the 1950s in the German capital’s U-Bahn.
The project cost the Berlin Transport Company (BVG) €1.9 million to revamp the old subway cars that will shuttle passengers along a 1.8-kilometer route between Berlin’s Central Station and the Brandenburg Gate. Two more old-school cars will be renovated and placed on the U55 underground line as well.
It may seem like you stepped into a time-machine when you get onto the cars, as advertisements from the 1950s will still be on the walls and even the upholstery looks the same, although the trains have been upgraded with modern safety equipment.
The reason for the trains coming back isn’t so people can experience a different era, but because Berlin’s metro system has a serious train shortage. By reusing old trains on the U55 line, the BVG can transfer the newer trains to the U6 line that has been experiencing higher demand that requires newer and faster cars. Make sure you get to Berlin before 2020, as the trains are expected to be back in museums once the newer U5 line is connected with the U55 line.
H/T: Conde Nast Traveler
Featured Image Courtesy of Getty Images.
With great transfer partners like United and Hyatt, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Named Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, July 2016
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards