This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In this installment of crazy aviation videos, we bring you a sight to behold: a takeoff of the world’s largest aircraft. The Antonov An-225 is a Soviet-era strategic airlift cargo aircraft built in 1988. Designed to transport the USSR’s Energia rocket booster, it currently holds the world record for delivering the heaviest payload ever — a staggering 559,580 lbs. This aircraft is extremely rare, as there was only one example ever built, making this takeoff even more incredible.
The clip starts with see the six-engine behemoth beginning its takeoff roll at an incredibly sluggish pace. As the An-225 lumbers down the runway, it finally gains enough speed to gradually lift its front landing gear. The 28 wheels that make up the aircraft’s rear landing gear remain on the runway for almost another 10 seconds until the aircraft actually leaves the ground. As it sails into the night sky it’s hard to avoid thinking “how does that thing even fly anyways?”
Have you ever seen the Antonov An-225 in person?
With great transfer partners like United and Hyatt, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Named Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, July 2016
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards