This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Most people flock to the warm, sunny weather of the Caribbean or Mexico during the winter — if you’re willing to deal with the cold, though, a European getaway is a great idea, especially when flights are this affordable. We’re seeing round-trip fares from several US cities (including the West Coast) to Oslo (OSL), Stockholm (ARN), Copenhagen (CPH) and Helsinki (HEL) from just $339, valid for departures January through May 2017. The best deals seem to be on Icelandair, but other carriers like Air Canada, Norwegian and United are also offering discounts from certain cities. Search for your desired destination and dates on Google Flights, then continue booking through the airline’s website (if possible) or with OTA like Orbitz.
Airline: Icelandair and more
Route: US cities to OSL, ARN, CPH and HEL
Cost: $339+ round-trip in economy
Dates: January – May 2017
Booking Link: Orbitz
Pay With: Amex Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express Premier Rewards Gold, Citi Prestige or Chase Sapphire Preferred
Here’s an example of what you can book:
Boston (BOS) to Oslo (OSL) for $339 round-trip on Icelandair in January:
New York (JFK) to Stockholm (ARN) for $344 round-trip on Icelandair in January:
New York (JFK) to Copenhagen (CPH) for $346 round-trip on Icelandair in January:
Seattle (SEA) to Helsinki (HEL) for $434 round-trip on Icelandair in January:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as the Amex Platinum (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express Premier Rewards Gold or Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
Photo courtesy of Yoann JEZEQUEL Photography/Getty Images.
If you’re able to score one of these tickets, please share the good news in the comments below!
Even after the introduction of the Chase Sapphire Reserve, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is still a fantastic choice if you want to avoid the Reserve’s $450 annual fee, earn 2x on all travel & dining and earn a 50,000 point sign up bonus.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Named Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, July 2016
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards