This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Drowning in hotel points but short on miles? If you’re hoping to boost your MileagePlus account to work toward an award flight, it could be worth taking advantage of this current United promo. Now until November 30, 2016, you can earn a 25% mileage bonus when you transfer hotel points to United — up to 20,000 bonus award miles. That means that you’ll only get the full 25% on the first 80,000 miles earned (100,000 total) — with Marriott’s Hotel + Air packages, for example, when you redeem 270,000 Marriott Rewards points (90,000 Starpoints) you’ll end up with 152,000 United miles, plus a 7-night hotel stay.
To leverage this offer, you’ll need to register with your MileagePlus account number here, and then click through to initiate a transfer with your hotel program of choice. Participating programs include Choice Privileges, Club Carlson, Golden Circle, Hilton HHonors, Hyatt Gold Passport, IHG Rewards Club, Marriott Rewards, Starwood Preferred Guest and Wyndham Rewards.
Keep in mind that each hotel program has its own transfer rate. For example, 2 Starpoints equal 1 United mile, while 2.5 Hyatt points equal 1 United mile. Also, according to the terms and conditions, you can transfer points from more than one hotel program with this promo — and you’ll earn a higher 40% bonus on Club Carlson transfers and a 50% bonus with Choice Privileges.
If you were already planning on moving hotel points over to United, it definitely makes sense to register for this promotion so you can earn some bonus miles in the process. However, if you don’t have any plans to book an award flight, it’s probably not worth transferring miles speculatively. Earlier this month, the airline changed its award-booking policies, and earlier this week it surprised MileagePlus members by introducing a new pricing structure for awards booked with the multi-city search tool.
H/T: Frequent Miler
Will you be taking advantage of this promotion?
- Start with 30,000 bonus miles after you spend $1,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening
- Check your first bag for free - save up to $100 per roundtrip
- Enjoy priority boarding privileges and visit the United Club with two one-time-use passes every year
- No foreign transaction fees
- Earn double miles on tickets purchased from United, and 1 mile per $1 on all other purchases
- Your miles don't expire as long as your credit card account is open, with no limit to the number of miles you can earn
- Use your miles for any seat, any time, on any United flight
- $0 intro annual fee for the first year, then $95