This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
One of the biggest mistakes travelers can make is not using a shopping portal when buying something online. By shopping through an airline’s shopping portal, you can earn bonus miles — and sometimes valuable discounts — on every purchase you make with the airline of your choice.
Most of the US carriers (and even many international carriers) have a shopping portal of their own, with bonus offers varying depending on the airline. Check out the AAdvantage eShopping Mall, SkyMiles Shopping and MileagePlus Shopping, among others to see what the carrier of your choice has to offer.
Also be on the lookout for special offers from different shopping portals, such as United’s latest, which will earn you some pretty substantial mileage bonuses.
When going directly to a retailer’s website, you could be missing out on valuable airline miles. So, it’s always best to check airline shopping portals before making any purchase. For all the benefits and caveats about maximizing your online shopping through various airline portals, check out Nick Ewen’s comprehensive guide.
Featured image courtesy of Shutterstock.
Even after the introduction of the Chase Sapphire Reserve, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is still a fantastic choice if you want to avoid the Reserve’s $450 annual fee, earn 2x on all travel & dining and earn a 50,000 point sign up bonus.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Named Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, July 2016
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards