This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Star Alliance is expanding — sort of. Shanghai-based Juneyao Airlines will join the alliance as a connecting partner in 2017. This means that Juneyao will be able to partner with Star Alliance carriers without having to become a full member. For passengers, this means more seamless connections into China from Juneayao’s bases at both Shanghai Hongqiao (SHA) and Pudong (PVG) airports. Further, connecting partner status means that passengers will be able to utilize check-in counters, lounges and other alliance benefits.
It’d be great to see deeper integration of Juneyao into the alliance in the future — for now it’s unclear whether you’ll be able to redeem United or Aeroplan miles for domestic Chinese flights operated by Juneyao, according to a press release from Star Alliance:
Connecting Partners will enter into bilateral commercial agreements with selected Star Alliance member airlines, which may include Frequent Flyer Programme based privileges.
Star Alliance is the world’s largest airline alliance, with 28 member airlines connecting passengers to destinations in every corner of the globe. Member airlines include Adria Airways, Aegean Airlines, Air Canada, Air China, Air India, Air New Zealand, ANA, Asiana Airlines, Austrian Airlines, Avianca, Brussels Airlines, Copa Airlines, Croatia Airlines, EgyptAir, Ethiopian Airlines, EVA Air, LOT Polish Airlines, Lufthansa, SAS (Scandinavian Airlines), Shenzhen Airlines, Singapore Airlines, South African Airways, Swiss, TAP Portugal, Thai Airways International, Turkish Airlines and United Airlines.
Photo courtesy of LAURENT FIEVET/AFP/Getty Images.
Even after the introduction of the Chase Sapphire Reserve, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is still a fantastic choice if you want to avoid the Reserve’s $450 annual fee, earn 2x on all travel & dining and earn a 50,000 point sign up bonus.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Named Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, July 2016
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards