This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Each Saturday, we round up news stories that you may have missed from the week before, including several that already appeared on The Points Guy, and some more that we haven’t covered yet. If you’re an avid TPG reader, scroll down for the new stuff. Here’s the top miles, points and travel news you may have missed this week:
It’s been a fun month for credit card offers, as several have made some adjustments to better compete against the newcomer, Chase Sapphire Reserve. See how the cards stack up in our monthly round-up of the top offers.
The end of the year is rapidly approaching. Make sure you follow these steps to ensure that you maximize your points, miles and elite status before it’s too late!
A replacement Samsung Galaxy Note 7 caught fire on a Southwest Airlines plane this week, causing the entire plane to be evacuated before it could take off.
Join TPG and Editor-in-Chief Zach Honig as they fly from Airbus’ factory in Toulouse, France to Singapore onboard the delivery flight of a brand-new Singapore Airlines A350.
Travel to the UK is currently a bargain, thanks to the declining value of the British Pound. Plus, many credit cards are offering incredible sign-up bonuses that could help bring the cost of a trip to London close to $0 out of pocket.
When you travel as much as TPG, it’s necessary to have a sound packing strategy. See his secret to packing efficiently, and his new line of Boeing 747-inspired socks. Proceeds go to Points for Peace, a campaign with PeaceJam — an organization that brings the teachings of Nobel Peace Prize winners to children around the world on how to best make positive changes in their communities.
In Other News…
Earn Up To 4x Aeroplan Miles With Accor Hotels’ Latest Promo
Aeroplan members have the opportunity to earn up to 4x miles by staying with participating Accor Hotels worldwide (up to three stays per account). You’ll earn triple miles if you book by December 31 and complete a stay by December 15, and you’ll earn quadruple miles if you stay between December 16 and January 5, 2017.
Get a $25 Discount Off $50 Spent on Amazon With American Express
Amazon and American Express are offering a targeted promo that allows you to get $25 off when you spend $50 or more on merchandise. You have to pay with an already linked American Express card that earns Membership Rewards points, and you must pay at least a portion of the total with your points (it can be as little as one point). Be sure to input the promo code AMEX16EVER before completing your purchase.
Check Out Amtrak’s Magazine and Earn Double Points on Train Trips
If you didn’t already know, Amtrak has a magazine called The National which “celebrate[s] the culture and industry defining life along America’s rails.” Also, you can earn double Amtrak points between September 19 and November 19 on trips to over 500 destinations.
Earn Bonus Aeroplan Miles With Air Canada’s Latest Promotion
Register now and book by November 14 to earn bonus Aeroplan miles when you fly Air Canada to pretty much anywhere the airline flies by April 30, 2017.
Featured image courtesy Joe Daniel Price/Getty Images.
Even after the introduction of the Chase Sapphire Reserve, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is still a fantastic choice if you want to avoid the Reserve’s $450 annual fee, earn 2x on all travel & dining and earn a 50,000 point sign up bonus.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Named Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, July 2016
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards