This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Each Saturday, we round up news stories that you may have missed from the week before, including several that already appeared on The Points Guy, and some more that we haven’t covered yet. If you’re an avid TPG reader, scroll down for the new stuff. Here’s the top miles, points and travel news you may have missed this week:
The end of 2016 is approaching, which means it’s time to take advantage of your remaining airline perks before they expire. If you have elite benefits or upgrades that you’re not going to use, consider posting them in this post to swap with fellow readers.
Read all about TPG Senior Editor Kaeli Conforti’s experience flying 15+ hours in business class on board the inaugural flight between San Francisco (SFO) and Singapore (SIN) on Singapore Airlines’ brand-new Airbus A350.
See how Chase Ultimate Rewards made an outrageously priced last-minute ticket affordable when TPG had to get home in a pinch.
Here’s one 17-year-old’s advice to airlines on how they could improve service and comfort for teenagers.
Malaysia Airlines has plans to retrofit its superjumbo A380s with up to 700 seats in an all-economy configuration. The carrier intends to operate the aircraft on special charter flights for religious pilgrimages.
In Other News…
Chinese Firm to Make Major Investment in Hilton
China’s HNA Group is poised to buy a 25% stake in Hilton. The deal’s expected to close in the first quarter of 2017.
Virgin America First Class Sneakers Sell for Almost $100,000
Remember those over-the-top Virgin America first class shoes we told you about a little while ago? Well, they’ve been sold on eBay, and the winning bid was an absolutely ridiculous $97,878. Congrats (?) to the lucky winner!
Earn a Quick, Easy and Free 500 La Quinta Points
Here’s a way to earn some free points with barely any effort. Simply link your La Quinta Returns account with your social media accounts, and follow @LQ_Returns on Twitter and Instagram. Your 500 bonus points will post instantly.
Get Six Months of Free Boingo Wi-Fi on Your Android Device
Traveling a lot over the holidays? You’ll want to check out this promo that will get you six months of free Wi-Fi if you sign register before December 31. All you have to do is download the Amazon Underground app to your Android device, install the Boingo Wi-Finder app from within Amazon Underground and then create a Boingo account.
Get a $50 Amazon Gift Card When You Book a Stay With TripAdvisor
You can earn a $50 Amazon gift card if you book a hotel stay of $150 or more through TripAdvisor’s mobile app. Note that you must have booked a previous stay with TripAdvisor, and you have to leave a review of the hotel by November 30.
Featured image of Singapore Airlines’ Airbus A350.
With great transfer partners like United and Hyatt, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Named Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, July 2016
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards