This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Priority Pass and Japan Airlines recently teamed up for a new promotion that allows you to redeem 40,000 JAL Mileage Bank miles for a one-year Priority Pass Prestige membership, giving you access to more than 950 lounges around the world.
If you don’t have enough JAL miles saved up to take advantage of the promo, keep in mind that you can always transfer Starpoints to JAL at a 1:1 ratio (before factoring in the 5,000-mile bonus when you transfer 20,000 points), although it’s really not a great Starpoints redemption option, not to mention it’ll take seven days for them to transfer. Based on TPG’s most recent valuations, Starpoints are worth 2.7 cents apiece, meaning the 40,000 you’d be transferring from SPG to JAL are worth about $1,080. Given that a one-year Priority Pass Prestige membership only costs $399, it’s a pretty bad deal if you’re planning to use Starpoints.
If you do want to take advantage of this promotion, go to JAL’s website and select the Priority Pass membership option. Depending on how you’re targeted by Amex, the Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card from American Express comes with a sign-up bonus of either two free nights or 25,000 Starpoints after you spend $3,000 within the first three months of opening your account. And even if you are targeted for the two free nights offer, you can still earn double Starpoints on eligible Starwood purchases. Plus, you’ll get 2x points per dollar when you use the card at Marriott hotels, a happy side effect of the Starwood-Marriott merger.
H/T: View From the Wing
There’s no telling how much longer these cards will be around and available for new applications because of the Marriott takeover, so now might just be the perfect time to apply. Apart from hotel redemptions, you can transfer Starpoints to over 30 airline partners, and now also transfer points from Starwood to Marriott Rewards at a 1:3 ratio, opening up even more redemption options.
- Earn 25,000 bonus Starpoints® after you use your new Card to make $3,000 in purchases within the first 3 months.
- Earn 2 Starpoints® for each dollar of eligible purchases spent on the Card at participating SPG® & Marriott Rewards® hotels. Earn 1 Starpoint for all other purchases.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees on International purchases.
- Receive free in-room, premium internet access. Booking requirements apply.
- Redeem Starpoints® at over 1,300 participating hotels and resorts in over 100 countries and for flights on more than 150 airlines with SPG flights, all with no blackout dates.
- $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $95.
- Terms and Conditions apply.
- See Rates & Fees