This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Throughout the month of October, United’s been offering MileagePlus members the opportunity to earn some pretty substantial bonuses when purchasing products at select retailers with United MileagePlus Shopping. The carrier has offered day-only bonuses, as well as some that have spanned a few days. To finish out the month, the airline is offering one last round of elevated bonuses on five merchants.
The one-day increase is taking place today, October 27, and you can earn 15 miles per dollar when you go through the portal and shop with one of the following five retailers:
- Sephora (normally 3 miles per dollar)
- Brookstone (normally 3 miles per dollar)
- Groupon (normally 2 miles per dollar)
- Lord & Taylor (normally 3 miles per dollar)
- World Market (normally 2 miles per dollar)
Based on TPG’s latest valuations, earning 15 miles per dollar will get you a return of 22.5%. In addition to these one-day-only bonuses, note that your time to sign up for the United MileagePlus Shopping Sweepstakes is limited. Through the end of the month, you can sign up to win a grand prize of 100,000 miles and $2,500 cash, plus three first prizes of 20,000 miles each. To register, use this link and you’ll get one entry to the contest. You’ll get an additional five entries when you sign up for marketing emails in addition to another five entries for each qualifying purchase of $50 or more (up to 25 entries per day).
In addition to these one-day bonuses at the aforementioned five retailers, keep in mind that you could also be eligible for increased bonuses at other retailers for being a United co-branded cardholder, for example the United MileagePlus Explorer Card. If you’re not already a cardholder but would like to become one, the card comes with a sign-up bonus of 50,000 miles after you spend $3,000 in the first three months.
If you’ve been planning to make a purchase at any of these five retailers, today’s a great day to do so online by going through the MileagePlus Shopping portal. The bonus miles per dollar for a total of 15 are enough to go out of your way to purchase through the portal, and earning the bonus miles can help put you on your way to your next award redemption.
The standard sign-up offer for these co-branded cards is 30,000 miles after you spend $1,000 in the first three months, so the current bonus is a significant step up. TPG values United miles at 1.5 cents apiece, so this 50,000-mile sign-up bonus gets you $750 in value.
- Special offer: 50,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open
- Check your first bag for free (a savings of up to $100 per roundtrip) when you use your Card to purchase your ticket
- Enjoy priority boarding privileges and visit the United Club with 2 one-time passes each year for your anniversary
- No foreign transaction fees
- Earn 2 miles per $1 spent on tickets purchased from United, and 1 mile per $1 spent on all other purchases
- Your miles don't expire as long as your credit card account is open, with no limit to the number of miles you can earn
- Use your miles for any seat, any time, on any United-operated flight at the MileagePlus Standard Award level
- $95 annual fee